Thursday 7 July 2011

Shooting the Chargé

This afternoon I did a quick portrait shoot with the Chargé d'affaires at the U.S. Embassy here in Malta. He's a pretty busy and important guy so I knew we'd only have fifteen or twenty minutes to shoot. I showed up for the shoot about 30 minutes ahead of time to set up my gear and test everything. About five minutes into my setup time the Chargé, Richard Mills, walked in and looked around. Realizing I was frantically trying to set up he asked if our appointment was at 12:30 or 1:00 and I politely said, 1:00. He lingered a moment and said he' be back.

I had planned a dramatic corporate look for the shot. It was going to be three lights - one on each side and one gridded on the background. As I worked, I quickly understood that I just didn't have enough real estate in the room to do what I planned. I took a deep breath, cued up a Frank Sinatra-based Genius mix on my iPhone, which felt appropriate in the setting, and powered through my light setup even though I wasn't sure how I was going to use it. At about that time, Mr. Mills returned.

I asked him to stand near the wall as I pushed a table out of the way, positioned an SB900 in a Lastolite EZbox 45° to the right and an SB600 with a gridded snoot to the rear left. I had already gelled the strobes to match the 4100K soft fluorescent lights overhead and took a test shot. Mr. Mills told me to just take a few until I felt I had a good one and we'd be done.


The first few minutes of a shoot are always a little rocky. I adjusted my levels and fired another test shot. It was a little hot so I went a stop down and by the third test shot was ready to go. I hit my 'zone' by about minute three and kept chatting and shooting. Although a little rigid at first, he relaxed went from stoic to laughter and back again ending up seeming very natural in front of the camera. Fifteen minutes later we were through. I showed him the photos and he seemed pretty happy with the product. As he walked out he remarked that the jazz really made him feel at ease.


I only shot about twenty frames with about five keepers but they only needed one so I feel that I got what was necessary. An hour or so of editing  and processing and the job was done. 


This event exemplifies what I love most about photography. So much of it is by the seat-of-your-pants. All of the past knowledge and experiences can guide you you but you never know how it will go until it happens... and nine times out of ten it goes off without a hitch. It's that adrenaline rush and the feeling of accomplishment that keeps me doing this. When it stops being fun, I'll stop shooting... lucky for me it's always fun. :) 


Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Well done mate. Shoot looks like it went well. So when is Obama having you around for a photo session?

    Great to see you join the blog brigade.

    ReplyDelete